Friday, September 17, 2010

The Woes of a First Date

The only thing worse than a first date is a first date gone wrong.

But, I'm jumping ahead of myself here so let me digress. Really digress.

The last time I wrote was in April... and it wasn't much. My apologies, life can be crazy. Death, life, breakups, marriages, getting closer to friends, work (and more work), and just enjoying summer. Not to mention switching schools and majors. So I really haven't had time to write. Once again, I apologize.

Now to jump to the present. Sort of. A few weeks ago, my good friend, Jenn, got me to start reading a blog of a girl with a 3 month subscription to match.com. One of her blog updates had mentioned another website online called Okcupid. I was intrigued, so I went on to the site to check it out, for no other reason than just to see what it was like.

About a week ago I got an email from a guy named Chad. We started to talk, which is natural when you start to correspond emails back and forth. We talked about school (he being a grad law student, and me an elementary education major), and a few other little things... mostly school.

Yesterday (Thursday) morning, while I was up in Philly helping to work on a new playground area with a group from work, I got a message from him asking if I wanted to continue our conversation over dinner and drinks. After talking to my friend and coworker Jenni (different than the Jenn listed above), I accepted. We then decided to meet at 8:30 at the Applebees for dinner and karaoke (my obsession).

Now, since I'm naturally a girl, I decided to start getting ready at 6:45. My mom had to ordeal through an hour and 20 outfits of me feeling like crap, bloated, and everything. Luckily, I decided to start early, because my phone went off at 7:40. It was Chad calling to say that he got out of class early, so he would be at the restaurant a little after 8.

I still beat him by about ten minutes, so I sat at the bar and chatted up the bartender (Richie. Great guy, gay, and singing A Whole New World with him is excellent) while nursing a yuengling. Chad walked through the door, and pulled up the seat next to me. Richie later told me that that was the moment he knew that I was not into the date. At all. Something about body language.

He was tall, bulky (I felt small and fragile), smiled a lot, and had blonde hair that was gelled in some weird way that showed off that he was balding (which is really odd when someone has about 4-5 inches on top of his head). He wore a long-sleeved Polo shirt with ripped jeans... which made me mad that I wasted an HOUR on my outfit.

We got the 2 for 20 deal... wings for an appetizer, he got riblets and I got pasta. He also ate a salad and 4 burger sliders. And he toyed the idea of a huge dessert. Apparently, in his mind, working out for a half hour earlier in the day constitutes having way too much food on a first date.

We spent a good portion of the date playing the Questions game, which resulted in a lot of disbelief on his part... is it really hard to comprehend that I don't like corn or crabs, that everyone one of my exboyfriends had cheated on me, and that I am a conservative republican? Really? Because he had to ask me "really" about fifty times for each one of those. But, for the most part of this game, I paid more attention to everyone else in the restaurant/bar than my date because frankly everyone else was more interesting than Chad.

Because, well, Chad is a boring name.

I also spent my time watching the door to see if someone I knew was going to walk through it (this never happened).

The most talking we did was arguing over politics. But you could have seen that coming, him wanting to be a senator and me being from a politically active family... we just had completely different views. Completely. And that sealed the deal on this date that would never be happening again.

Though this first date did happen to hold its true purpose for tonight I got a text from the same guy I was hoping would walk through that door.
"So how was your date last night?"


So... I guess I really can't complain anymore since it got the guy that stopped talking to me for a week to finally text me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment